Kids love gardening (at least digging in the dirt and finding worms) and it’s a great way to learn about nature, where food comes from and what living things need to survive.
Some concepts to teach your preschooler:
- parts of a plant (roots, shoots, leaves, stem, flower and fruit).
- roots hold a plant in the soil and take in nutrients and water
- the stem holds up the plant
- the leaves take in light that the plant uses to make food
- some plants grow flowers
- the flowers turn into fruit, which has seeds
- when the fruit ripens, it falls to the ground, and the seeds inside can grow into new plants