When reading books, magazines, or other written items you can teach your child how print works.
- Point to words as you read them. Help your child point to each word as you read it.
- Tell your child that the words you say are the words written in the text.
- Show how books in English are read from left to right, top to bottom.
- Point out initial letters in words and explain how the letter represents the sound that you make at the beginning of the word when you read it.
- Encourage your child to join in with repeated lines when reading favorite stories and point to the words as you both say them.