About the New Lebanon Branch: The Mother's Study Club of New Lebanon saw a need for a community library in the early 1950s and began fundraising through bake sales and variety shows. By 1955, enough money was raised to start a small library in a private home. In 1957, the library joined the Dayton Public Library system and moved into a former grocery store. A fire in a nearby storefront, combined with increased circulation, led to the building of a new facility which opened in July, 1988. The library sits on a 1.7 acre plot of land, complete with a pond, ducks and trilling toads each spring.