About the Main Library: In 1847, the Dayton Library opened with a total of 6,000 volumes. The library was housed for many years in the Steele Building. In 1888, a Gothic-style library building was opened in Cooper Park near Second Street. A natural history museum was opened on the library's second floor in 1893 where it remained until 1921 when it moved to its own space (and is now the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery). The first Children's Room was opened in 1897. The first branch libraries were opened in 1914, and Book Wagon service began in 1923.