The Dayton Metro Library (DML) is in Dayton, Ohio, which is the seat of Montgomery County. Cincinnati is just 60 miles to the south, while Columbus is 70 miles to the east. Named a 3-Star Library by Library Journal in 2020, the Dayton Metro Library has 18 branches and a Main Library that anchors downtown Dayton. Dayton Metro Library is in the final stages of completing a $187 million building project, which has enabled us to build or renovate each location. With a new strategic plan that is Focused for Impact, DML is poised to:
- Strengthen human, physical and financial assets.
- Multiply potential through relationships, engagement, and communication.
- Enhance the community quality of life.
- Expand youth horizons for learning.
- Build equity in the community.
Watch this short video to hear some of our staff members describe why DML is a great place to work!
The Dayton Metro Library is recruiting for FOUR full-time Dispatch Officers to work in Safety and Protective Services at the Main Library in downtown Dayton. These officers will staff the Dispatch Center (24 hours per day, 7 days a week) at the Main Library. They will monitor video feeds from all 18 locations and respond appropriately as needed. They will respond to medical emergencies when working at a branch and may be required to utilize their CPR/AED Certification. The selected candidates will possess excellent de-escalation skills and the ability to develop a rapport with Library visitors. These staff members may need to travel to branches occasionally in order to provide on-site security. Join our team today!
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Additional consideration may be given to individuals that are fluent in any non-English languages spoken in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish and Swahili.
Essential Job Duties
- Monitors cameras and alarms, at all hours.
- Monitors access to facilities through door and badging systems.
- Provides CPR or uses AED on patrons or staff in emergency situations that require it.
- In an emergency, acts as liaison between the system and emergency personnel, monitoring activity in an evacuated building.
- Answers and transfers calls made to the Dispatch Center, as appropriate. Monitors traffic into the Dispatch Center.
- Monitors weather emergencies for all locations.
- Maintains multiple logs of information.
- Accepts Lost and Found items at the Main Library, and logs them accurately.
- Assists with banning and trespass of patrons as needed.
- Plays closing announcements for Main Library.
- Troubleshoots/restarts the fire alarm panels, elevator help calls and entrapment, and Sonitrol intrusion or fire alarms.
- Acts as a floater officer for branch locations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- One-year certificate from college or technical school; or one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required. Ability to periodically drive.
- Thorough knowledge of security protocols and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and comprehend instruction manuals, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively when addressing individuals and apply active listening skills.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of records.
- Ability to manage emergency and stressful situations calmly. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Ability to learn new software programs and technologies.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. Ability to speak and hear required.
- Ability to work 1st, 2nd and/or 3rd shift required.
Compensation and Benefits: The hourly rate for this position ranges from $15.68 to $25.36. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance along with paid time off and OPERS retirement.
Application Process: Please send your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com. These positions are open until filled.