Dr. Michael R. Sandy, University of Dayton, takes on on a walk and talk focusing on some examples of building stones used in downtown Dayton buildings. In particular, special attention will be paid to the Dayton Limestone—a stone considered as one of Ohio’s finest building stones. The Dayton Formation limestones were used extensively in the Dayton area (and farther afield) during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The Zenith of the Dayton Limestone Industry is characterized by the Old Courthouse (1850), an important Greek-revival architectural-style building that saw the use of Dayton Limestone not only for the exterior of the building but also much of the interior and roof. In addition, we will consider the Dayton Flood of 1913, an event that caused many deaths along the Great Miami River Valley.
|Address:||215 E Third Street
Dayton, OH 45402