The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a team-oriented Branch Library Manager for our Miamisburg Branch Library, which opened in February, 2017. This newer branch features a puppet theater, dedicated children’s and teen spaces, and a host of meeting rooms. This branch, in particular, has a very busy schedule of children’s programming. We are looking for a Branch Library Manager who will maintain the established relationship with the local schools and enjoy getting involved in the community. Join our team today!
Essential Job Duties
- Establishes and implements goals and objectives for branch service that support the Library’s Mission.
- Directs all branch services such as reference assistance, readers’ advisory, outreach, circulation and programming.
- Directly hires, manages, evaluates and schedules employees in assigned branch. Oversees branch volunteers. Serves as liaison between Administration and branch staff. Communicates with administrative team on policy, patron and staffing issues.
- Ensures the efficient, effective, customer service oriented delivery of services to branch Library patrons. Maintains a current knowledge of Library operations, policies and procedures. Demonstrates and models excellent internal and external customer service. Maintains frequent personal presence in public areas to ensure outstanding service.
- Manages branch collections and oversees evaluation and processing of donated materials. Collaborates with Collection Development to ensure the collection is responsive to community’s information, recreational and educational needs. Arranges for repair, cancellation or redistribution of materials as needed.
- Promotes community awareness of the Library and establishes effective communication with community groups, organizations and individuals.
- Prepares annual budget requests and submits quarterly, topical and other reports as requested.
- Answers patrons’ reference questions and assists patrons in selecting and locating materials. Assists patrons in the use of computers, personal electronic devices and library virtual materials.
- Monitors branch facility needs, initiates maintenance and repair of branch building, equipment and grounds in cooperation with the Facilities Manager.
- Maintains a safe and secure facility for staff and patrons in conjunction with the Security Manager.
- Implements Library policies and procedures at the branch level. Participates in policy revision and in the formulation of policies and procedures. Interprets Library policies to staff and patrons with a patron-responsive management perspective.
- Assists with system-wide decision making through consistent information sharing, regular attendance at Managers’ and Public Services Managers’ meetings and service on at least one DML committee.
- Ability to plan, schedule, and oversee branch operations and personnel.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, theories, concepts, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge and appreciation of literature, periodicals, web sites, social media, and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant collection.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with community officials, leaders, organizations, the public and the staff. Ability to present information and respond to questions from staff, patrons, and members of the community individually and in a group setting. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- MLIS from an ALA accredited program, minimum of three to five years of increasingly responsible experience in a public library setting at a professional level, and supervisory experience preferred.
- Schedule includes daytime, evening, and Saturday hours.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting salary is $63,985 annually with an exceptional benefits package.
Application Process: For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com by August 14, 2018.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.