The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time, highly self-motivated Teen Services Librarian for the Southeast Branch Library, which will open in 2019. The staff of the Southeast Branch Library will be formed by joining the teams that currently work at our East and Belmont Branch Libraries. Our Southeast Branch Library is adjacent to Belmont High School. This position reports to the Branch Library Manager and may occasionally serve as the person-in-charge. We are looking for an individual who is eager to establish a relationship with the neighboring high school as well as with others in Southeast’s service area. In addition to outreach, this individual will be expected to develop and offer appealing programs to teens in grades 7 through 12. The ideal candidate will embrace change and be absolutely excited to become the first ever Teen Services Librarian for this new branch. Join our team today!
Essential Job Duties
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the Teen area through personal presence and area’s design.
- Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the Ask Me Desk and in a roaming capacity.
- Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
- Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.
- Designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates teen programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.
- Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools, community organizations, government agencies, and other groups as appropriate. Provides library outreach programs and school visits that meet community needs.
- Maintains attractive appearance of the Teen area in accordance with safety and ADA requirements. Creates displays to promote library use.
- Evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement. Reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired, replaced, or redistributed.
- Submits required reports and budget requests. May serve on library committees. Attends applicable department meetings. Assists with system-wide programs, activities, and initiatives.
- Assists with the daily operations of the service desks, including opening and closing duties.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge and appreciation of teen literature, periodicals, audio-visual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media, and materials. Knowledge of available teen materials and readers’ interests.
- Ability to plan and implement programs for teens.
- Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to teen services.
- MLS/MLIS (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
- Schedule includes day time, evening and Saturday hours.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting hourly wage is $22.91 (with MLS/MLIS) with an exceptional benefits package.
Application Process: For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 14, 2018.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.