This dynamic individual will support the earned income goals and special event needs of the Dayton Metro Library’s Events Department with this newly-created position. This fast paced role requires strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects. Successful candidates will have a thorough understanding of event needs, including food and beverage, rentals, room set up, entertainment and décor, and the interconnectedness of cause and effect as it relates to special events. Daily functions will include responding to outside inquiries, managing site visits, documenting bookings and payments, interfacing with many internal and external departments and partners, and overseeing all aspects of assigned events, including set up and tear down. This position will work primarily at the Main Library, however assistance will be needed occasionally at Branches and/or other outside venues. This position reports to the Events Manager. A minimum of 2 years direct special events experience preferred, as well as full competency with MS Office and booking/reservation software systems. Join our team today!
Essential Job Duties
- Under the direction of the Events Manager, represents the Library on matters relating to special events and revenue generating opportunities.
- Responds to inquiries and provides assistance and information regarding Library rental space use and capabilities.
- Assists Events Manager by setting up appointments for tours and meetings. In the Manager’s absence, provides tours of Library facilities to potential clients and vendors.
- Completes, coordinates, and arranges event details with internal and external partners in regard to facility, technical, security, catering, room set-up, entertainment, décor, parking, and other event needs.
- Under the direction of the Events Manager, books events, completes in-house event booking sheet and coordinates the signing of approved contracts.
- Conducts and coordinates pre-event, event and post-event activities, including set-up and tear down duties. Provides assistance in the oversight of the facility during assigned event functions. Greets and remains available to client, staff, and external partners during event.
- Uses client feedback to document successes and challenges. Makes recommendations to improve processes and practices.
- Maintains necessary department financial records and payment schedules. Creates invoices and prepares monthly reports for bookings, deposits, and payments.
- Provides clerical assistance including, but not limited to, answering phones, responding to email and typing letters and routine correspondence.
- Required to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, as dictated by the schedule of events.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with vendors, clients, organizations, members of the public and staff members.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret contracts, and policy and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and contracts clearly and informatively.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, patrons, and members of the community individually and in a group setting.
- Ability to plan and oversee events. Knowledge of hospitality operations, sales and client services required.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required. Ability to drive a vehicle.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university preferred; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Physical Requirements: Ability to occasionally sit, climb, use keyboard, arrange tables, chairs, equipment and materials for events and lift items weighing up to 50 pounds. Ability to frequently carry, grasp, hold, reach, stand, stoop, turn, and walk. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close and distance vision. Ability to speak and hear required.
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Entry hourly rates may range from $16.00 to $20.00. This position is eligible for our full benefit package, which includes health, dental, vision and life insurance, paid time off (vacation, sick, holiday), and professional development opportunities.
Application Process: For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com by February 27, 2018.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.