The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time, energetic and knowledgeable Staff Development Manager who reports to our Human Resources Director. The selected candidate will be in charge of coordinating our annual Staff Development Day (including lunch arrangements as well as programming) for the 300+ staff in attendance. The incumbent also chairs our Reference Training Committee, which includes providing reference workshops to our paraprofessional staff as well as the coordination of reference courses to those who would like to become more familiar with reference sources. We will look to this person for leadership as we revamp our New Employee Orientation and onboarding process. Lastly, this person provides training for staff as our newly built/remodeled branches open and as new technology or ILS updates are unveiled. If you enjoy teaching and collaborating with fellow co-workers, this job is for you! Join our team today!
Essential Job Duties
- Directly hires, manages, evaluates, and schedules Staff Development Assistant. Communicates with Human Resources Director on policy and staffing issues.
- Identifies training and development needs of staff at all organizational levels through a variety of means including, but not limited to, surveys, personal interviews, and group meetings.
- Based on identified needs, maps out annual training plan. Develops, designs, and delivers training programs, including a curriculum-based program for staff. Selects appropriate training methods and activities. Works with managers to effectively address performance concerns through group and individual learning plans.
- Markets training opportunities to encourage participation of targeted audiences. Coordinates scheduled training with appropriate Library and/or contract personnel.
- Develops and manages a robust new employee orientation and onboarding program in collaboration with the Human Resources Director and the Recruitment and Retention Manager.
- Assesses instructional effectiveness and determines the impact of training on employees’ skills, knowledge, and abilities. Amends and revises programs to ensure maximum impact on workplace performance.
- Keeps abreast of changes in Library policies, practices, and technologies and adjusts training curriculum to reflect such changes. Ensures depth of understanding to serve as internal subject matter expert on new technologies which require staff training. May assist with the selection and testing of new software which requires staff training.
- Organizes material, physical, and human resources needed to carry out the training plan. Produces training materials for in-house courses.
- Serves as chair of the Staff Day Committee.
- Serves as chair of the Reference Training Committee.
- Keeps up to date with developments in training and library services. Researches and applies new technologies and methodologies in workplace learning.
- Implements Library policies and procedures. Participates in policy revision and in the formulation of policies and procedures. Interprets Library policies to staff with a patron-responsive management perspective.
- MLS/MLIS (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience required.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Knowledge of professional training principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
- Excellent verbal, written, human relation and public speaking skills.
- Ability to assess training needs. Ability to develop and manage individual learning plans, group training plans, development training programs, correspondence courses, and related educational opportunities to meet employee needs.
- Analytical and technical skills for dealing with complex software issues required.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and training handouts.
- Ability to effectively present information in a group and/or individual training environment. Ability to communicate by conveying necessary information accurately, listening effectively, and asking questions when clarification is needed.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting salary is $49,295 annually with an exceptional benefits package.
Application Process: For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com by January 23, 2018.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.