In an effort to support our programming and event schedule throughout the Library system, the Dayton Metro Library is hiring a full-time Audio-Visual Services Technician who will report to the Audio-Visual Systems Manager. The successful candidate will possess thorough knowledge of audio-visual operations and emerging technologies in the field as well as the ability to troubleshoot audio-visual issues during scheduled events or programs (in front of audiences). This person should demonstrate exceptional teamwork skills and a willingness to offer creative solutions to audio-visual requests. If this sounds exciting, we want to hear from you!
Our facilities: Dayton Metro Library’s $187 million bond issue is delivering 17 new or renovated spaces to the communities that we serve, creating exciting opportunities to expand our potential to offer a high-tech, multimedia experience to our users. All of our new locations have systems with projectors, large monitors, sound systems, listening assistance, portable audio recording and editing equipment that are above and beyond what we have had before in our libraries. The Main Library has two flexible performing spaces that include live audio sound systems with wireless microphones and lighting systems as well as video wall, 4k projector and grand piano presence. In addition to these spaces, the Main Library has numerous and varying conference rooms and meeting spaces with equipped with audio-visual technology. Main also boasts a Green Screen Room video production space, while the Northwest Branch has a heavily-used audio recording studio.
Essential Job Duties
- Supports patron and client use of audio-visual systems in meeting spaces, community rooms, and performance spaces including meeting with patrons, clients, and partners to provide basic instruction of system use.
- Maintains and cleans audio-visual equipment, reports damage to Audio-Visual Systems Manager, and assists in tracking inventory and use of equipment throughout the system.
- Provides on-site technical support as needed for library events, meetings, and functions, including event setup and teardown. Sets up audio-visual equipment in coordination with appropriate staff members.
- Provides on-demand troubleshooting with audio-visual equipment. Escalates problems if necessary to the Audio-Visual Systems Manager or appropriate system contractor(s) as needed.
- Supports use of patron content creation spaces such as the Green Screen video production space, audio production labs, and audio production carts.
- Meets with library users and clients to discuss and promote creative processes regarding Dayton Metro Library’s audio and video production offerings.
- Assists in creating training and reference material for audio-visual equipment and assists Staff Development with audio-visual related training for staff members.
- Assists in developing programming and instruction for maximizing audio-visual system assets throughout the library system for library users.
- Attends and contributes to Information Service Assistant meetings.
- Ability to speak effectively and apply active listening skills. Ability to communicate effectively when dealing with patrons, staff and members of the community.
- Ability to effectively provide one-on-one instruction and present public training sessions. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Applicant must be comfortable troubleshooting audio-visual problems in front of an audience.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in mass communication, broadcast, video production or audio engineering; or one to two years related experience and/or training in audio-visual support role; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of audio visual systems such as digital projectors, interactive displays, and live audio systems (with wired and wireless microphones) is required.
- User experience with audio-visual control systems such as Crestron, Extron or AMX highly preferred. Experience with digital signage, multimedia production (audio and video) and live audio mixing preferred.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Must have a strong ability to adapt and route video and audio signals.
- Strong knowledge of consumer computer (PC, Mac) and mobile device (laptop, tablet) display outputs highly preferred.
- Flexible schedule is a must. Must be willing to work nights and weekends.
Physical Requirements: Ability to occasionally lift monitors and other audio-visual equipment weighing up to 40 pounds. Ability to periodically climb and drive. Ability to occasionally use rolling carts and dollies. Ability to occasionally carry, hold, lift, reach, stoop and turn. Ability to frequently grasp, carry, sit, stand, walk, and use keyboard. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision for driving. Ability to speak and hear required.
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Entry hourly rates may range from $19.00 to $24.00. This position is eligible for our full benefit package, which includes health, dental, vision and life insurance, paid time off (vacation, sick, holiday), and professional development opportunities.
Application Process: For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 23, 2018.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.