This position will be at the Main Library
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a Children’s Services Librarian who is eager to welcome our community to the enchanting Children’s area of our new Main Library. This librarian will report to the Youth Services Division Manager and be part of the Main Library’s Youth Services’ Team. We are looking for a passionate and energetic individual who has experience offering innovative programming and exceptional customer service to children. The ideal candidate will also excel at providing outreach to schools and daycares to promote the library’s collections, resources, and services. We invite you to visit http://www.daytonmetrolibrary.org/facilities and take the virtual tour of our impressive Main Library, which is set to open summer of 2017.
Essential Job Duties
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the Children’s area through personal presence and areas design.
- Provides all library users with assistance in reference, general readers’ advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the public service desk and in a roaming capacity.
- Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
- Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.
- Designs, promotes, presents and evaluates children’s programs and activities which address community needs and incorporates library resources.
- Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools and community agencies (i.e. preschools, daycare centers, head starts or other organizations related to children). Provides library outreach programs and school visits which meet community needs.
- Maintains attractive appearance of Children’s area in accordance to safety and ADA requirements. Creates displays to promote library use.
- Evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement. Reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired, replaced or redistributed.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge and appreciation of children’s literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, web sites, social media, and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant children’s collection.
- Knowledge of available children’s library materials and reader’s interests.
- Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to children’s services.
- MLS/MLIS (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
- Evening and Saturday hours are required.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting hourly wage is $22.46 (with MLS/MLIS) and an exceptional benefits package.
Application Process: For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 29, 2017.