Page 16 of 16
Appendix F - Download a PDF of the Request for Reconsideration of Juvenile Borrowing Privileges Form
Appendix G - Download a PDF of the Request for Reconsideration of Library Material Form
Appendix H - Request for Reconsideration of Library Material Procedure
Just as they have a right to make recommendations for additions to the Library's collections, patrons (Dayton Metro Library card holders and/or citizens of Montgomery County) may request materials be withdrawn or reconsidered. Such requests are not to be taken lightly; they should be handled in a calm and courteous manner. If possible, they should be referred immediately to the department, or branch manager. Patrons requesting withdrawal or reconsideration of material should be afforded every opportunity to express their concerns. The manager or person in charge handling the complaint should give the patron a copy of the Collection Development Policy and indicate that this document explains the library's materials selection process and policy.
A patron who wishes to pursue a complaint further should be referred to the Office of Collection Development Manager. A patron who is still not satisfied should be informed that a Request for Reconsideration of Library Material form may be completed and sent to the Executive Director. If a patron decides to take this action, the following procedure will be followed:
- Formal complaint filed with the Executive Director
- The Executive Director takes the following action:
- Responds immediately to the patron in writing explaining the process to be followed.
- Refers the material to Office of Collection Development Manager for reconsideration.
- Upon receipt of the recommendation from the Office of Collection Development, informs the complainant in writing. If the recommendation is to retain the challenged material, informs the complainant of the right to appeal the recommendation before the Library Board of Trustees, and the procedure for requesting to appear before the Board.
- The following procedure will be followed in a formal complaint to the Board of Library Trustees:
- The request to appear before the Board must be submitted to the Executive Director at least seven days in advance of the Board meeting. (The Board normally meets on the third Wednesday of each month.)
- Board meetings are recorded on tape.
- The complainant must appear in person, but may be accompanied by an attorney or other spokesperson.
- The Board will take one of the following actions:
- Retain the material in the collection
- Withdraw the material as requested
- Defer action until the next Board meeting
Appendix I - Download a PDF of theRequest for Reconsideration of Internet Site Form